January 15, 2005

Pascal's new PC : Part II

This is why I sometimes hesitate to recommend Linux to my friends.

Firstly, I know they wont really appreciate the principles on which the world of GNU/Linux is based. They don't give a damn to freedom, for them, the 'freedom' with which they can acquire Windoze is good enough.

Secondly, even though Linux is coming of age, it still leaves a lot to be desired in the area of hardware support. In Pascal's case, his sound card and DVD/CDRW combo drive are not being detected. I am sure we'll find a fix in a few days, but really, should hardware be a problem with a distro as recent as FC3? Most of the SOHO users are not adventurous enough to fix problems on their own. I am still a student, and can afford a few hours a day sometimes to fix problems with my PC. Not that I did not face problems when I used Windoze, but in those days I could call my dealer in times of desperation.

Of course, I am still a dedicated GNU/Linux fan. But I don't think I can be as enthusiastic a promoter of GNU/Linux as some are.

No comments: