January 26, 2005

Fighting a reputation - III (was I mistaken?)

I am allowed to make mistakes, right?

Well, there was this other friend of mine who went to the U.S. for vacation. His way of explaining his experiences revealed why my other friend felt the way she did.

This friend, Ankith, told me that people in the U.S. are inherently more friendly (read: social). It isn't uncommon for complete strangers to come up to you and say 'hi' and ask about the weather. In fact, he said that during early days of his visit, he used to be surprised at the way Americans talked to him, it was as if they knew him as a friend.

So, Indians don't behave strangely in the U.S. . It's just that Americans are more social. I remember reading in a business magazine once that with growth in urbanisation, social inhibitions decrease. That is fairly obvious. What my earlier friend probably experienced was just a culture shock.

No comments: