December 20, 2004

Swades - We, the people

Went to watch a movie today after a long time. Granted, the theatre wasn't the best (a lousy K.T. Vision somewhere in Vasai), but the movie just about made up for it.

I am not an NRI, nor do I have any NRI friends. So I don't really know how NRIs feel about India. But still, the movie did a pretty good job about portraying the mindset of an NRI. (For the record, I do know some Indians who ready to leave India at the drop of a hat).

I won't let out the story here. But I will tell you one thing - don't expect to watch the movie and come out a proud Indian, this movie is not patriotic at all. The director has been very true to the script. It is all about the emotional turmoil the NRI faces when he has to decide between staying abroad and returning to India. In fact, the NRI admits that India is not the best country to live in, but he is willing to make a difference.

The rural shots in the movie to a large extent portray my native place (Varanasi, or Benares), so I did get pretty nostalgic a few times. It's been five years since I last went there, God knows when will I go there next. In a way, I am a non resident Benarsi.

No comments: