December 20, 2004

Let's play together

Most animals do it well. Ants do it the best perhaps. In fact, even robots are being taught to do it now. But strangely, sometimes humans fail miserably when trying to do the same thing.

Working in a group. No, I am not talking about managing a group, or it's workflow, I am talking of the people within. Many times people just don't seem to get along very well. I have seen a group that wasn't ready to work with another because they had problems with one of it's members. Many times, there are leadership issues. Too many people trying to control the same thing, and none willing to give up. When they do give up, they leave the group itself. Somehow, if three or more people get together to do something, politics almost always creeps in. Quotas, chamchas, money ... All wreck havoc with the working of a group.

There have been so many instances where sports teams have revolted against their captains. The no-confidence motion in the parliament is another example. Heck, even I have been told by some of my teachers that I can't work efficiently in a group, though none gave me any specifics.

The sooner we learn to leave our egos and differences behind, the better. We need to see the larger picture or the bigger good. Learning to work in a group is important.

1 comment:

Rohit Bhute said...

Don't I know it. My post in the SPACE prep team makes me a fly on the wall. I am witnessing all sorts of power-play in TE students whick makes me wonder whether they are ready for placement or entering the Parliament.